At Almac Imports, we like to provide information that makes your ordering experience as smooth and easy as possible.
- Are you clear on the differences between traditional cello bags and shrink bags, and what a micron is?
- Know how to measure a cello bag to fit your product?
What is BOPP?
It stands for “biaxially oriented polypropylene.” Wow – that’s a mouthful! You don’t really need to remember the full name. Some things you will want to remember about BOPP are:
- BOPP cello bags offer a crystal clear view of your product, provide a scent barrier, have high temperature stability and are approved by the FDA for direct contact with food.
- BOPP cello has higher resistance to humidity than pure cellophane, as well as improved tensile strength and clarity. It can be heat sealed without shrinking.
- Lengths of the bags are fairly standard * but the widths vary. So you generally need to measure only the width to determine which bag size to order. (* the exception is if you have a presentation that is especially tall or short. Call us to discuss if that is the case.)
- All of the cello gift bags we carry are square bottom.
- Smaller bags are 25 micron thick and larger ones are 30 micron thick. The bigger the bag, the more it holds, and the stronger the bags need to be.
What is a micron?
Cellophane’s thickness is measured in microns; 1000 microns is equal to 1 millimeter. The higher the micron count, the thicker (and stronger) the material. Confectioners might use a cello of about 20 microns whereas a florist might opt for a thicker, 40 micron cello.
How do shrink bags and traditional cello bags differ?
One difference is the material used: cello is made of BOPP; shrink bags are made of PVC (polyvinyl choride). It should be noted that BOPP is FDA approved for direct food contact while PVC is approved for indirect food contact only. Another difference between our shrink bags and our cello bags are the bottoms: cello bags are square bottom; shrink bags come in both dome and square bottom.
What sizes do the cello bags come in?
Our cello bags range from 4” X 8” all the way up to 36” X 48”. Click here to see all the sizes we have in stock.
How do I measure to get the right size cello bags?
You can quickly and easily figure out what size cello or shrink bag to order.
- Measure the diameter of the basket or container, making sure to take the outside measurements.
- Multiply the diameter # by 2.
- Select a bag that is slightly wider than the doubled diameter.
- Measure the length and width of the basket or container, making sure to take the outside measurement.
- Add the length and width measurements together.
- Select a bag that is slightly wider than the sum of the length and width.
Note: Shrink bags should be ordered a little large because they will shrink up to 60%. Our sizing calculations work for shrink bags that are filled from the top. If the shrink bag is going to be used as an envelope, you might want to do a trial run to see what size bag will work best.
If you are new to measuring, and a little unsure of the process, give us a call and we’ll walk you through it.
What’s the advantage of a cello bag over cello wrap?
It’s a question of convenience. Cello bags already have the form you need, so all you have to do is drop the gift item or basket in and tie up the top. Speed plays a factor, of course--if you have a lot of presentations to prepare and time is a factor, then cello bags will speed things along. At Almac Imports we have cello bags stocked in many sizes. Did we clear up a few things for you? Good!
You can order your clear cello gift bags or gift basket bags online, by phone or by fax. If you still have some questions, no problem, contact us today and we’ll help you find exactly what you’re looking for.